Monday, May 16, 2011

My little Con-man

 As a mother it is natural to want to protect my young from harms way. From colds to bullies, I will do everything in my power to protect my wonderful children. So with that said today I will be protecting my youngest by fighting to keep him back a year in school. I would not normally recommend this to most parents but in Con-mans case it is a must. Con was diagnosed with autism at the age of two, and has struggled with many of the "normal" milestones for a child socially and mentally. At his IEP last month his scores for kindergarten were low and has yet to spend anytime in the normal classroom settings. I am finding it hard to believe that sending to first grade will benefit him in any way. Con is small for his age, and his language skills are only at a three to four year old level. I didn't think he was ready for kindergarten when he started, (mother always knows best you know)so now I fight. Today will be a very trying day for me and I only hope to be the best advocate I can for my son. Til next time, I am always a click away!
Amanda

2 comments:

  1. Naner,
    I am proud that you stood up for what is best for Conner. It's not ALWAYS in the child's best interests to move them on when they haven't reached the benchmarks during the year. Conner has made great progress in many ways and he will continue to do so, especially if he doesn't get frustrated before having some successes.
    Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nobody knows the child like his mother

    ReplyDelete